It is the Mission of Antioch African Methodist Episcopal Church to minister to the spiritual, intellectual, emotional, and economic need of all people through Christ’s liberating gospel through word and deed, thereby creating excellence for the whole person.
Antioch's Journey Through History
The name “Antioch” was chosen in honor of the city in the scriptures (Acts 11:26) where the disciples were first called Christians. Antioch African Methodist Episcopal Church was the first black church in the city of Decatur. Several faithful Christians established Antioch A.M.E. Church in 1868. In 1874, a one-room building was constructed on Marshall Street in the heart of downtown Decatur. In the early 1930’s the Rev. D. W. Wiggs reorganized the church, laid the plans, and started a new structure – a remarkable feat considering the great depression had taken its toll. In 1965, under Pastor Flanagan, Antioch moved to a neighborhood on Atlanta Avenue, later renamed Hibernia Avenue where a new edifice was erected overlooking the city. On September 24, 1995, the congregation moved from 109 Hibernia Avenue in Decatur, Georgia to 765 S. Hairston Road in Stone Mountain, Georgia under the leadership of Rev. Dr. Stafford J. Wicker.
This relocation was one of the largest acquisitions among A.M.E. Churches in the southeastern United States. Situated on 8 acres of land, the 15,000 square foot building houses a sanctuary, office area complex and multi-purpose facilities. On June 27, 1998, Antioch purchased 16.5 acres of land on Elam Road. This property has a sanctuary with a full kitchen and classrooms in the basement, a school, gym, rental house, baseball field and two playgrounds. The Elam Road campus located directly behind the S. Hairston Road campus makes Antioch one of the largest landowners in Stone Mountain. In 2000, Antioch purchased 32.5 acres on S. Hairston near Covington Highway, now housing the first phase of the Antioch Manor Estates, a senior housing development. Phase II, The Antioch Summits are scheduled to begin construction this fall. In October, 2007, Antioch purchased the Antioch AME Church-Conyers Campus, located at 1790 Enenezer Road, Conyers Georgia. This 15 acre site has a sanctuary, administrative offices, class rooms, full kitchen and a large conference/meeting room that can also double as additional seating space. There is also a separate living life center. This purchase gives Antioch the distinction of being “One church, in three locations” Groundbreaking has taken place for the expansion of the Antioch campuses, which includes the construction of a new multi-functional building and combining the S. Hairston and Elam Road campuses to serve the needs of our community and our membership. The move to Stone Mountain has led to growth in many areas of the life of the church. Our membership increased from 176 members in 1995 to currently over 2000 members. From the living room in Lou Bratcher’s home on Electric Avenue in Decatur Georgia in 1868, to the move to a one room building on Marshall Street in 1874, to the move to a new structure in the early 1930’s, to the move to a new edifice on Hibernia Avenue in 1965, to 765 S. Hairston Road in 1995, to Elam Road in 1998, to the Seniors project in 2000, to the beginnings of a new learning life center and sanctuary in 2004, to 1790 Ebenezer Road in 2007 – Antioch continues its journey. To God Be The Glory!